background

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Banana Nut Pancakes for Dinner? YES. PLEASE.

Happy Sunday to ya!

Last night I was hungry, but didn't feel like I wanted anything...does that make any sense? I decided on pancakes, but I'm not the type of girl that likes a plain pancake...I want substance! I also dream of the banana nut pancakes from The Breakfast Club on Pine Street in O-town...but they have wheat.

So do you get where I'm going with this...GLUTEN FREE BANANA NUT PANCAKES, INDEED!

***Okay, okay make 'em with wheat flour, if you must, just make them!

1 cup Gluten Free Bisquick
1/2 cup rolled oats (I used GF, of course)
1/4 crushed walnuts (or pecans)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 TBS sugar (or substitute)
2 medium bananas
1 cup milk (I used soy or did I use almond?)
1 egg
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp butter extract
spray butter/oil for cooking

In a bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients. Mash 1 banana; in a second bowl mix mashed banana with milk, egg, almond and butter extract. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients, mix until smooth. Dice remaining banana and stir into batter. Warm skillet over medium heat; coat with cooking spray. Measure about 1/4 cup batter (or whatever size you want!); pour into skillet. Cook about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.....YUM!

**alternate version that we also enjoy...replace bananas with 1 cup of blueberries and diced strawberries to batter***

**recipe adapted from a recipe I saw ,fruit and nut pancakes. in SELF magazine.



2 comments:

Cari said...

Those look delicious!!

Queen Mom said...

Cari, I actually thought of you last night while making this! I recall you saying you make better waffles than pancakes and I thought.."I wonder if she would ever try making these?" They are yummy and they provide more healthy elements than just a regular pancake. Let me know if you ever make them.