background

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Recipes focusing on the addition of veggies :)

I love veggies and thankfully hubby and the Prince also enjoy them. Otherwise, goodness I would never leave the kitchen...trying to figure out who will eat what. Last night, we were out to dinner with friends :) and the discussion was had about individuals not caring for veggies or only liking a limited number of veggies; it got me to thinking, I have heard this a lot and I, on some level, understand it...I don't like meat, you don't like veggies! (I know my beloved meat-eaters, you don't get that one HA!) Anywho, as I arose this morning and discussed with the Prince our daily kitchen creation, we decided on zucchini muffins, again! (He just made the recipe I am going to share in his Lil'Chef online cooking class, this week. It inspired me to share a couple of recipes that even non-veggie eaters might enjoy, or at least not gag on! hehehehhe. In addition, I want to share a corn recipe, I have heard many folks say "I don't like veggies, but I can eat corn." I assume this is because of the mild flavor and starchiness...but what do I know!; other than fresh corn on the cob is only offered for a certain seasonal time period and eating plan corn out of a can may get old after a while! (So I am also posting a recipe to add some pizazz to corn!)  I hope someone will venture out to make one of more of these and tell me what you thought!! ( Actually, my 17 y.o niece in FL is making the zucchini muffins today,:)

WHEW!!! Aren't you glad the rambling is over and you finally reached the recipes? BUT, first a picture of my favorite 4-year-old!


ZUCCHINI MUFFINS!!

Note: You don't have to peel the zucchini before shredding it for this recipe. It won't affect the taste and the peel will provide some extra fiber. (YOU CAN NOT TASTE THE ZUCCHINI!!!)
What you need:1½ c. shredded zucchini (about 2 small)
2 c. whole-grain pancake or biscuit mix  (We of course used GF bisquick and added GF gluten substitute so they would rise!)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
2 eggs
¾ c. brown sugar
¼ c. unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
powdered sugar (enough to dust the muffins)

Equipment and supplies:oven
bowls — one large, one medium
grater 
measuring cups and spoons
muffin tin and paper liners  ( or just grease a muffin til!)


What to do:Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
Wash zucchini and remove ends.
Shred zucchini using largest holes on grater.
Wrap grated zucchini in a dish towel and squeeze to remove water into the sink (must do this!).In a large bowl, mix whole-grain pancake mix (or biscuit mix) with spices.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, applesauce, and lemon juice.
Fold the egg-sugar mixture and shredded zucchini into the pancake-spice mixture; do not over mix.
Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with batter.
Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden.
Remove muffins from tin (with help from your adult assistant) and cool on a wire rack.
Sprinkle muffins with a dusting of powdered sugar.


CAULIFLOWER MASH POTATOES!



Okay this is simple! No recipe like before. First do you make homemade mash potatoes or do you use a pouch? Either way here is the recipe to add veggies and you'll never know it!

Instant Potatoes First!
Dice up a 1/2 a head of cauliflower and out is in a pot with about 2 inches of water and boil the hello out of it...until it's mushy. Then drain any remaining water and mash to death with a fork!!
Make your pouch of instant potato (example, Idahoan, Roasted Garlic, 4 oz) as instructed on packed.
Now! Mix, thoroughly together...VIOLA!

Homemade Mashed Next!!
HAHAHAHAHA!! Essentially same as above!
Cook cauliflower to death, drain and mash to death...again!
Add to yummy homemade mash potatoes...mix well!

(okay, okay...I use the entire head of cauliflower, but you make start with 1/2)



Okay the 3rd recipe, taste like corn! if you like corn and want a new way to make it..then try this!


Baked Corn

Ingredients:
1 cup of milk (cow, soy, whatever!)
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp flour (GF around here, of course)
1 15 oz can of whole corn...DRAINED
2 eggs (BEATEN WELL)

Directions:

Boil 3/4 cup of milk with butter and sugar. Dissolve flour in 1/4 cup of milk (not boiled). Pour flour mixture into milk mixture to make then white sauce. Add corn, mix. Add beaten eggs, mix again. Grease (we use spray Pam) a 1 to 1.5 Pyrex loaf pan or dish. Bake about 1 hour at 400 degree F.

No comments: