background

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Shrimp and Grits and Goat Cheese/Green Onion Muffins

This morning I saw Sandra Lee make a very easy Shrimp and Grits recipe. Now I grew up in the South and I have eaten lots, and I mean lots, of grits; grits with eggs, grits with fish, just grits...as long as I have salt and butter I will devour some grits. The one dish that  I never tried is shrimp and grits, and boy o boy was I missing out! Below is a very very easy, cost efficient and delicious version!

Shrimp and Grits adapted from Sandra Lee

Ingredients

  • Salt grits and shrimp to taste 
  • 1 cup quick cook grits
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 strips bacon, coarsely chopped (okay, this is where you will judge me and I'm okay with it. Since I am vegetarian and faux bacon contains wheat...I substitute faux bacon chips..YEP! the ones that go a top a salad...don't add them until after the onion is sauteed and use about 2 TBS)
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and de-veined
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons hot sauce ( I added about 4, we LIKE spicier!!)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • **The only thing I would add is a clove of garlic to the sauteing onion...we LOVE garlic

Directions

In a large pot, bring 5 cups water to a boil. Add a large pinch of salt and stir in the grits. Simmer until the grits are fully cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the mayonnaise.

In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat to medium-high, add the onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until shrimp turn pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the butter, lemon juice and hot sauce. Toss to coat the shrimp, and remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley.


Now on to the muffins that I could eat every minute of every day for the rest of my life.......Goat Cheese and Green Onion Muffins! I did not make these into mini-muffins, I don't have a mini muffin pan :/, so I (okay, the Prince) made 6 gigantic and amazingly delicious large muffins. Have I mentioned I have a cheese obsession??!!


Pinned ImageGoat Cheese and Green Onion Mini Muffins
Adapted from Gourmet Magazine
  • 1 cup whole milk ( I used low fat buttermilk and highly recommend it!)
  • 4 ounces soft mild goat cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ( I used GF Bisquick)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 large egg
        • 1 bunch green onions
1.  In a small bowl stir together the goat cheese 2 tablespoons of the milk until combined
2. Into a bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt
3. Melt butter and in another small bowl whisk together with remaining milk and egg.
4. Chop green onions using both the white and the green parts.
5. Stir butter mixture and green onions into flour mixture until just combined
6. Put batter into greased mini muffin tins and top with a dollop of the goat cheese. ( I used a regular size pan)
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden around the edges. Let cool slightly before serving


No comments: